Saturday, September 19, 2009

Still with us...


JANOSIK, the Slovakian Robin Hood known in parts of surrounding High Tatras by every child, become alive again in a new movie "Janosik: A True Story (2009)". I wish this movie would get into American's cinemas, so I could get lost in my childhood memories of tales and stories told by my Grandparents. Well, I might just wait until I land on my birthland again.
Story that has many versions but still the same end... Story of a hero, Janosik....

Janosik, the leader of the Slovak mountain boys, who has become a great legendary national hero in his country. Janosik is the symbol of a people's just indignation against injustice and oppression, as well as a symbol of hope of ultimate victory, of justice, and of truth.
He is forced into outlawry by a dissolute and brutal nobility. Tall, brave and debonair, he robs the rich but helps poor.
The reason that Janosik became an outlaw is because he witnessed his father being beaten to death by a landowner. To revenge his father, Janosik gave up his studies and took to the mountains, where he became the chief of a band of outlaws.
Janosik's adventures are legendary. But perhaps the reason for his status as Slovakia's greatest folk hero is due to the circumstances surrounding his death. Janosik was only captured because he was deceived by his girlfriend's mother.
Once captured Janosik was tortured, so that he would tell the Hungarian authorities who the other outlaws in his band were. However, Janosik was extremely brave and told the authorities nothing. He was then hung on a meat hook by his ribs until he died.

So, if you seen it, let me know what I am missing (or not)....


No comments:

Post a Comment